The executive director of the MSU Alumni Association reports to the vice president for development and alumni and provides leadership, direction and support in carrying out the mission of the Alumni Association and Mississippi State University.
General Duties and Responsibilities
Works with and supports the Alumni Association officers and board, and leads the staff of the Alumni Association in developing and implementing programs that build stronger relationships between Mississippi State University and its alumni, students, supporters and friends.
Effectively communicate the interests and concerns of alumni and friends of Mississippi State University to members of the campus community.
Serve as a member of the administrative team of the Division of Development and Alumni and assists in developing and implementing policies and programs that support the university’s mission.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Qualifications and Desirable qualities of the next Executive Director
- Assist the vice president for development and alumni in fulfilling the purposes of the Division of Development and Alumni.
- Provide executive and administrative support to the Alumni Association’s officers and board of directors.
- Provide direction for the day-to-day operation of the MSU Alumni Association Office located in the Hunter Henry Center.
- Direct strategic planning processes that provide a pathway to ensure the Alumni Association fulfills its mission.
- Select, train, encourage and support an effective and efficient staff.
- Provide for sound management of the association’s resources.
- Advise and support the student members of the Alumni Delegates student organization.
- Represent the Alumni Association in meetings with individuals and groups outside the association.
- Keep abreast and share with the board and staff current and future trends in alumni relations and administration that will strengthen the association’s ability to fulfill its mission.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
How to inquire about or apply for the position
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required. Additional academic credentials are preferred.
- Seven or more years of relevant professional experience with a particular focus on volunteer management within non-profit or membership driven organizations.
- Proven organizational, communication and planning skills.
- The ability to maintain a positive and mutually supportive relationship between the Alumni Association, Shared Advancement Services, the MSU Foundation and Mississippi State University.
- A vision for the future of alumni relations and engagement at MSU.
- A passion for engaging students and developing them into loyal and supportive future alumni.
- Leadership ability.
- Strong communication skills that project charisma through interpersonal relations, public speaking, writing and social media.
- Keen business acumen regarding new sources of revenue and sponsorships.
- A strong vision for alumni engagement in and support of the priorities of the university.
- A strong vision for adding value to being a member of the MSU Alumni Association.
- Higher education experience and understanding of and appreciation of land-grant universities.
- High energy, self-starter with excellent organizational skills.
- Commitment to individual chapter development as the key to future success.
- The ability to work as a contributing member of the development and alumni leadership team.
- The strong commitment to and the ability to promote an enthusiastically positive image of Mississippi State University.
To inquire about or to nominate someone for the executive director position, please contact:
Dr. Bill Kibler
Vice President for Student Affairs
Mississippi State University
P.O. Box DS
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Office phone: 662-325-3045 ● Cell phone: 662-617-1718
Fax number: 662-325-3699
To apply for the executive director position, please submit electronically (MS Word or pdf.) a letter of application that addresses your qualifications and vision for this position, a current resume, and five professional references including names, titles, phone numbers and e-mail addresses to: Dr. Bill Kibler at email@example.com
. Review of applications will begin immediately, with applications
accepted until the position is filled. However, in order to be assured
full consideration by the search committee, the application should be
received no later than August 1, 2013.
All offers of employment, oral and written, are contingent upon the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by federal law, state law, and MSU policies and procedures and will include a comprehensive background check.
Mississippi State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer